Friday, July 10, 2009

My Fourth discovery....The "Anxiety and Phobia Workbook"

My fourth major discovery was the "Anxiety and Phobia Workbook" The 4th edition. This was more of a rediscovery. A friend of mine who was a counselor, social worker and professor suggested I read the book. I had bought it but was so anxious I couldn't calm down to relax. I found the book helpful in understanding my panic attacks but I needed physiological and medical help to be able to apply the exercises. I was too wound up and not open to taking any medications. The edition I had didn't have the natural suggestions, However, I had tried 5-htp, Gabba and Seredyn but they caused me more problems than helped. My medical doctor recommended it and suggested that I deal with my "tigers: and I would heal. I love this workbook because it covers so many aspects of anxiety. It confirmed my other and gave me so many helpful exercises that have helped my meds to work better and for me to make some exciting changes and discoveries. I was on my meds for a year without having to go up. I give this workbook alot of credit for this. I work in it everyday and feel so supported and hopeful that I can and will heal. The author and psychologist Edmun J. Bourne, PH.D, himself recovered from a similar illness. It's so nice to have the perspective of a professional, in the Field of anxiety and stress, that has trodden a path to healing for those of us to follow. He explains brain function and how panic and anxiety works, he teaches how to breath and relax, cope with panic and overcome panic and phobias, Overcome negative self-talk and mistaken beliefs. He addresses self-esteem and ways to nurture yourself, live your dreams and be more connected spiritually. He also covers issues on nutrition, Prescription meds and natural alternatives, and Anxiety triggering health conditions such as PMS, Andrenal Exhaustion, Thyroid, Candidas, Allergies, Hypoglycemia etc. Having this resource has aided me in my slow 5% tapering process from my Ativan. I've been more relaxed and rested. I'm dealing with the underlining reasons for my anxiety and illness which takes off so much stress from my body. This book has been a must have and has sped up my healing light years.

No comments:

Post a Comment