Monday, June 15, 2009

Journey continued - Hidden poisons

Dealing with my Illness through food helped but I knew there was more to it. My second conclusion was that I had an "Environmental" Illness. This idea came over time and with online research about allergies. I felt much better when I would use natural cleaners, toothpaste, and shampoo. I stopped wearing make-up and any chemicals for hair dying, teeth whitening, eyebrow waxing, etc. I got a plastic mattress cover and hypo-allergenic pillows and looked into air purifiers. I got a $150.00 reverse osmosis water purifier from "Aqua wizard" since arsenic had been found in our ground water as well as city water. I could not avoid the chemicals used to remodel our home in the fall. Therefore, in the late winter, early spring I would notice that when I would open the windows I would feel a lot better. Our heater brought another issue. One night when our heater came on, within ten minutes my husband and I felt dizzy and like we were going to pass out. We didn't run it for two nights and neither of us had those symptoms until we ran the heater again. We got a brand new heater. As the old one was being wheeled out we could see black soot pouring out of the back piping. Our heating and air guy asked us if we were aware that we were using a forty year old propane heater jimmy rigged to run on gas. We had only lived in this house for two years and had no idea. We suspected carbon monoxide poisoning because of my symptoms. I discovered oxygen therapy but couldn't afford it. Being agoraphobia, it made me cringe to think of being locked down in an air tight chamber. My problems lessened but didn't go away like I thought they would. The heating and air company came back and set up an "Airadvice" for free. It took air samples for two weeks. When the tests came back it showed that the pet dander, mold, dust, and other environmental toxins were off the charts. But they only would go off the charts while the heating system would run. This is after we paid to have the air ducts cleaned. They tried to sell us a air filter for the heater but we couldn't afford it. I began trying to take care of the allergens myself. I had seen mold in my daughter's room. I had my dad pull up the carpet and cut out Sheetrock from the new addition and sure enough "Black Mold". We had to do the mold remediation ourselves and lived in a hotel until it was finished. My husband developed similar symptoms to mine after being in contact with the mold. His and my health declined and with mine and his health problems and him being low on work during our busiest season this added an immense amount of stress that just amplified our anxiety, panic and symptoms. I would feel fine and then he would have a panic attack which would throw me into a panic attack and we would do this until we finally had to start going to the neighbors for help. He would go to the ER feeling like he was going to pass out and was sent home with xanaxs and ativan after speaking to a counselor. I realized I had a severe chemical imbalance with my hormones, thyroid and brain. My holistic doctors has mentioned that I had a thyroid problem and hormone imbalances before. I had discovered a need for amino acids and other brain food in my online research but could not afford the program I had found (Point of Return). My husband was losing his business and we would be relocating for a job offer he had received. We were surviving on credit cards and help from our church. I started an inexpensive brand of fish oil and called it good. We had spent so much of our money on my Dr. visits, testing, herbs that made things worse (with exception of the "Blood circulation" formula from Dr. Christopher. My hands were cold and knumb and I had to sit in front of a heater even in the summer until I started taking this). Mold remediation, the new heater and the list goes on....my husband would not support one more try at finding help. He and his family had decided it was all in my head and I was burdening everyone emotionally and financially. I just needed to think more positively and stop being so negative and not focus on myself. My conclusion was that the overuse and over exposure of chemicals and other environmental toxins can overload the body and create hyper states of anxiety and adrenal exhaustion. Elimination of as many of these toxins to the best of our ability can take stress off of our body's just like eliminating stressful foods from our diets. I even noticed a difference after we got rid of our indoor cats after I found out I was allergic to them too. This awareness and elimination allows our body's to better cleanse and heal. I realized it wasn't just about the food or my toxic surroundings, it was also the stress of financial and marital strain. All these things depleted my body of essential brain food and nutrients making it harder to be positive and happy which leads to another piece of my puzzle.....

No comments:

Post a Comment